Friday, March 18, 2005

Why Bad Things Happen to a Good God

For one who is struggling to understand why bad things happen in a world created by a good, all-powerful God, I recommend the following book by Rabbi Harold Kushner, When Bad Things Happen to Good People. It's not what I believe to be the Catholic answer, but it may help prepare to better understand the Catholic answer. It helped me.

Then I recommend the book by Protestant writer, C.S. Lewis, called The Problem of Pain (C.S. Lewis Classics)

Both of the above books are very short and inexpensive, but very good.

Then I recommend this article from This Rock magazine: "WHY BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO A GOOD GOD (This Rock: May 1998)" by John Dowling.

I think the answer is that LOVE is so amazing, that REJECTION, PAIN, and SORROW are worth risking and enduring. Anyone who has ever been truly in love should be able to understand this.

God bless,

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home